What is Pleroma?
Pleroma is a federated social networking platform, compatible with GNU social, Mastodon and other ActivityPub and OStatus implementations. It is free software licensed under the AGPLv3. It actually consists of two components: a backend, named simply Pleroma, and a user-facing frontend, named Pleroma-FE.
For a user-friendly introduction, have a look here: What is Pleroma?
Pleroma-FE is the single column frontend bundled with Pleroma. It is highly customizable, with an impressive set of features.
- Per-user color themes
- Smart collapsible conversations
- Independently scrolling notification sidebar
- NSFW attachment hiding
- Post filtering
- Supports both Pleroma and stock GNU social backends
- Can be run in parallel to another frontend
Advantages of the Pleroma backend
- Light memory usage
- Runs on a Raspberry Pi
- Support for ActivityPub and OStatus
There is now a dedicated Pleroma GitLab where all development takes place.
Some of the technologies used in Pleroma include Elixir, Vue.js, and the Phoenix framework.